Short Inca Trail to Machu Picchu 2D/1N
This Short Inca Trail to Machu Picchu, 2 Days 1 Night version, leaves from the 104 km, located at 2,100 meters. (starting by train from Ollantaytambo). It is a walk of 16 Km to Machu Picchu, where spectacular views of landscapes appreciate high Andean jungle and visiting Inca buildings on the route (Chachabamba, Choquesuysuy). 6 Km walk in a gradual uphill to Winaywayna Complex, located at 2,700 meters. Winaywayna means “forever young” in Quechua, agricultural terraces around the mountain, decorating this ancient Inca castle with temples, shrines, buildings, and water channels, it has 15 water sources rituals as one goes down .
The next day in our Short Inca Trail, after breakfast, at 05:30 we boarded a bus Machu Picchu for our full day guided tour of exploration. our expert guide will help you better understand Machu Picchu. then you have free time to explore on your own, doing photography, contemplate this magical place, or just meditating at such wonder place.
After our extensive visit to this magical place walking descend to Aguas Calientes (1 hour) or you can go down with bus if you want to acquire your ticket directly for $ 12 pp. in Aguas Calientes town you will have lunch and then our train from Machu Picchu town leave at 4:12 p.m reaching the Ollantaytambo train station at 6:00 pm.
Then transfer to Cusco by bus for 1:30 minutes and the last destination will be Plaza Regocijo 8:00 pm.
Important note about this 2 Day Inca Trail:
The 2 day Short Inca trail gives you the opportunity to be in Machu Picchu inca complex twice, once the first day in the afternon and you will appreciate the SUNSET. The second time you will be the next day going very early to appreciate the SUNRISE in the lost city
The Short Inca Trail – Summary
- Day 1: Cusco – Ollantaytambo – km 104 Chachabamba – Wiñay Wayna – Machu Picchu – Aguas Calientes.
- Day 2: Aguas Calientes – Machu Pichu – Ollantaytambo – Cusco
Detailed Itinerary for this 2 day Inca Trail Trek
Day 1: Cusco – Ollantaytambo – km. 104 Chachabamba – Wiñay Wayna – Machupicchu – Aguas Calientes.
Pick up from your hotels at 4:00 am. to take you on a journey of two hours, with a private transportation to the train station in Ollantaytambo. Here we will have breakfast (not included), then after breakfast, we will board the train, travel by train in an hour and 45 minutes to Km. 104 (start of our short inca trail trek). At Km. 104 after submitting passport control, we began to walk softly around meters Vilcanota River. Starting the way on the short inca trail to Machu Picchu, we will see the ruins of Chachabamba, a stone altar -site that was used to worship the sun and the mountains, still revered by local people.
After visiting Chachabamba, continue the path south and started a gradual climb to the mountain, before entering a cloud forest, overgrown, then the trail leaves the forest and goes west while continuing uphill in an open meadow. After walking 3 hours, the road descends into a forest amazing. Here you will find a beautiful waterfall, then get to the bottom of the ruins of Winaywayna.
Appreciate the beauty of this place, supplemented with information from our expert guide.
After lunch at Winaywayna, we will continue in the afternoon in the cloud forest, filled with bromeliads, orchids and tree ferns . As we walk the last part of the way we pass many impressive features such as the stone stairs and drums (resting places). You climb 60 stairs before you reach Inti Punku (Sun Gate).
From this point, you can see and observe this wonderful place. Then descend for 45 minutes to get to the view point of the famous place, from here you can watch the sunset. Descend to the entry of Machupicchu where we board the bus to Aguas Calientes town. Accommodation and Dinner included, rest, plans and arrangements for the next day. The thermal baths are a good choice (bring your bathing suit and 10 soles. Overnight at our Hotel or up-grade accommodation upon your request.
- Meals: L D
- Accommodation: Twin room, also triple rooms. (single rooms for single supplement)
- Maximum Altitude: 2680m/8792ft
- Minimum Altitude: 2100m/6888ft
- Distance Travelled: 9 Km aprox.
- Approximate Walking Time: 6 – 7 Hours
Day 2: Aguas Calientes – Machu Pichu – Ollantaytambo- Cusco
Breakfast from 05:00 am then board the first bus to Machu Picchu at 05:30, the park opens at 6:00 am. We have a guided tour of Machu Picchu, this enigmatic and mysterious city is explored for about 2-3 hours explained by your expert guide, you can visit the most amazing places as the Royal Mausoleum, the Temple of the three windows, the main temple, the Sacred Plaza, the famous Intihuatana where wise Inkas tied the sun in the winter solstice in June, stairways, plazas, fountains, etc. (You usually have about 5-6 hours after extra time off ). In high season the train schedules may vary)
After finishing our masterful visit, we walk down to Aguas Calientes 1 hr, (option with bus down to pay $ 12 pp) then lunch is not included. Then we have some free time to explore this quaint village before boarding our train back to Cusco
The train departs Aguas Calientes in the afternoon at 16:12 pm and arrives in Ollantaytambo Town, then our transport will take you to Cusco City getting there at 8:00 pm. to regocijo plaza:
- Maximum Altitude: 2400m/7872ft
- Minimum Altitude: 2100m/6888ft
- Distance Travelled: 6 km approx
- Approximate Walking Time: 3 – 4 Hours
What is Included on our Short Inca Trail to Machu Picchu:
- Pre-departure briefing at your Hotel or Office.
- Pick up from your Hotel at 04:00 am
- Private transport to Ollantaytambo Train Station (2 Hrs)
- Tourist train ticket to Km. 104 (starting point of the Short Inca Trail Tour)
- Entrance fees for the trail and the Machupicchu sanctuary
- Permits and fees for the 2 Day Inca Trail Trek
- Walk with an excellent English speaking guide.
- Guided visit of Chachabamba, Wiñaywayna and Choquesuysuy
- Guided Tour of Machupicchu on the second Day
- 1 Box Lunch, 1 Dinner (DAY 1) 1 Breakfast ( DAY 2)
- Acommodation in Aguas Calientes town day 1 at night
- Bus tickets (Machupicchu-Aguas Calientes -Machupicchu)
- train return ticket to Ollantaytambo town and transport to Cusco
- Walk the Sun’s gate Intipunku or to Inca Bridge after your tour. (Optional)
What is not Included in our 2 day Inca Trail:
- Bus down from Machupicchu to Aguas Calientes on 2nd Day US$ 12 (or a Down hill walk for 45 minutes to Aguas Calientes)
- Lunch and Dinner on the 2nd Day, Drinks, snacks or water.
- Hot spring pools 10 soles. (Optional)
- Entrance fee for Huayna Picchu $ 65.00 (Optional).
We recommend that you bring for this 2 day trek to Machu Picchu
- Your Original passport
- Student card ISIC (if applicable.)
- You only need to carry a small day pack
- Water to drink (2 liters) Day 1
- Camera, binoculars
- Rain jacket in rainy season: Dec. to Jan.
- Change of weather gear in rainy season: Dec to Jan
- Basic toiletries
- Hat or cap for the sun, essential
- Sunscrean with sun protection
- Insect repellent for mosquitoes (Malaria or Yellow fever have not been reported)
- Comfortable hiking boots, sneakers or sturdy shoes
- Money in soles or dollars. ATM´s or cash machines and travelers cheques in Aguas Calientes are more expensive to change.
SHORT INCA TRAIL PRICES:
USD $ 550.00 per person.
Discounts for this 2 day trek to Machu Picchu:
Student Discount: US$20 (Requires Student Card to qualify)
Optional Extras for our Short Inca Trail:
Huayna Picchu permit US$ 85.00.